Salsa Verde Beef Bowls
Servings: 5 servings
These Salsa Verde Beef Bowls are made up of ground beef, red onions, poblano peppers, cabbage, cilantro lime rice and salsa verde to pour over the top. This is a quick and easy recipe that can be finished in under an hour.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
For the Rice
- 3 cups (450 g) cooked rice
- 2 tbsp (30 g) lime juice
- ¼ cup (20 g) chopped cilantro
- salt to taste
For the Beef and Vegetables
- 2 lbs (908 g) ground beef (90/10)
- 2 (150 g) poblano peppers green bell pepper is fine too
- 1 medium (200 g) red onion
- 1 small (227 g) green cabbage alternatively you can buy 8oz of preshredded cabbage in a bag
- 2 tbsp (30 g) oil
- 1 tbsp (15 g) minced garlic
- 1 tsp (3 g) cumin
- 1 tsp (3 g) chili powder
- 1 tsp (3 g) smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp (15 g) lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1¼ cups (300 g) salsa verde pick out your favorite jar from the store
- 1 jalapeño optional for garnish
For the Rice
- Make enough rice to yield 3 cups of cooked rice. 1 cup of dry rice will make between 2-3 cups of cooked rice depending on what type of rice you use.
- Once the rice has finished, add 3 cups of rice to a bowl and mix in 2 tbsp of lime juice and ¼ cup chopped cilantro.
For the Beef and Vegetables
- While the rice is cooking, prepare your beef and vegetables. For the nutritional estimates provided, I have included 2 tbsp of oil to use in the cooking process. Use that amount as needed in the cooking of the beef and vegetables.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add about a tsp of the oil and cook the beef until it has browned. The beef should have enough fat that you won't need to use a ton of oil.
- While the beef is browning, wash and cut all of your vegetables.
- Cut the red onion into thin slices, the peppers into a medium dice, and shred the cabbage by cutting into thin slices. Mince up 1 tbsp worth of garlic. Chop the cilantro into small pieces for the cilantro lime rice once the rice has finished.
- Once the beef is finished browning, remove it from the skillet (or use a separate skillet) and add 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat. Toast the cumin, chili powder, and smoked paprika in the oil for about 30 seconds and then raise the temperature to medium high and add in the onions and peppers to cook. Add more oil if needed.
- Allow the onions and peppers to cook and brown for 4-5 minutes then add it the shredded cabbage and continue cooking until it has softened, around 3-5 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Once the vegetables have softened, add back the beef to the pan as well as the cilantro lime rice and squeeze about 1 tbsp of lime juice over the top. Mix everything until well incorporated.
- Taste test and adjust flavors with salt, pepper, and extra lime juice as necessary.
For the Salsa Verde
- Shake up your jar of salsa and divide it into 5 smaller containers of ¼ cup each.
- This recipe makes 5 servings. Divide the contents of the pan evenly between your 5 containers and add a small container of salsa to each.
Calories: 540kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 42g | Fat: 24g
The information in the following table are estimates for the total nutrition of the recipe, as written with 17 of the 200 calorie 9 inch tortillas. If you follow the recipe listed above, as written, you can use these tables to determine the nutrition information if you wanted to split the recipe, as written, into more or less servings than what is originally listed. If you update the number of servings in the “Servings” field of the recipe above, the information in these tables are no longer accurate as you have updated the ingredients.
This Post Has 28 Comments
Delicious!! We used ground turkey for this one this first time. The recipe doesn’t say when to add the garlic but we added it a little before we added the cabbage so it didn’t burn/cook too long. Another great one!!
Been eating this for dinner all week and it’s delicious! I really appreciate the time and effort you put into these recipes, and the fact that they all taste like something other than air. I’m never hungry anymore and my weight is down!
thank you glad you enjoyed!
Loved this.. Super easy to make, I used the bagged shredded cabbage. Subbed the beef with the 96/4 to save more calories. I will definitely make this again!
Whoop whoop 😎
This was the first recipe of yours I’ve tried, I’m super impressed. I’m one of those ‘I can’t cook’ people, but this came out perfect. I’ve had 2 portions already and I can’t wait for mealtime tonight!
You rock man, I’m glad I found your vids on YouTube…
I’ll say I think you’ve outdone yourself on this one Josh. SO. DARN. GOOD. My wife loves it. My baby loves it. My baby dropped some on the floor and my dog really loves it.
amazing, thank you so much 😎
This meal is so good and filling. The only change I made is I halved the seasonings and it still came out delicious. I am Mexican/American so I already had my own homemade salsa verde to add to the meal so that was a plus!
Absolutely delicious! I actually just got finished making these for the second week in a row…they’re that good!
super nice, stuffed it and made burritos very good <3
Just made it today. Husband and I loved it! Definitely will make it again.
This was SO freaking good!
Incredible. I made this as my first experience prepping meals for future days and I can say with certainty it felt like I went to a restaurant every day. Thank you so much for the awesome recipe, I can’t wait to try more
This was really good. I love veggies, so I doubled them, and also more hot peppers. Its a great meal.
This is my second recipe I’ve tried from your collection. I think this will be my go to, it’s delicious!!! Keep making more tex mex style dishes please!!! I loveee anything with a kick and a tang to it!
Delicious! I used red bell peppers and garlic powder. The salsa Verde I got was spicy.
I don’t understand the bit about the tortillas? Where you mention making it “with 17 of the 200 calorie 9 inch tortillas”. Does the calories count include a tortilla?
I think it’s a weird error where some text got copied from his breakfast burrito recipe because he specifically used 17 of those tortillas in that episode. I don’t think the counts here include the tortilla.
Great recipe, I like the contrast with the crunchy cabbage. I’ve made a few of your recipes now and you tend to knock it out of the park. Thanks for what you do!
This is absolutely the most outstanding of your meal prep recipes I have made to date! I could literally eat this every day. Perfectly seasoned with flavor. The texture of the hot dish plus cold verde, then do not skimp… use a cut a lime, the brightness of flavor it adds! I cannot recommend this one enough to people. Next level
Anyone know the fiber count on this recipe?
My calculations say 3g of fiber
Fantastic recipe. My dad added pomegranate seeds, which added a crunchy, sweet and sour taste. Highly recommend!
This is one of my favorites, and it just gets better as the meals go on.
Do easy and delicious! Didn’t even need the salsa verde. Husband loved it too.