Spicy Chicken Sandwich
For the Chicken
- 3 lbs (1362 g) boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1¼ cups (125 g) ground corn chex
- 1 tsp (4 g) onion powder
- 1 tsp (4 g) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (4 g) paprika
- 1½ tsp (6 g) cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp (45 g) hot sauce
- (8 g) oil spray
For the Toppings
- 8 (408 g) hamburger buns
- 2 tbsp (28 g) butter
- 8 tbsp (104 g) mayo
- 2 large (454 g) tomatoes
- ½ cup (227 g) hamburger pickle chips
- 1 head (300 g) romaine lettuce
- These chicken cutlets can be prepped ahead of time and frozen if you wish. If you do that you will only be minutes away from a nice sandwich whenever you please. I would recommend doing this.
For the Chicken
- When I made this recipe, I had 4 chicken breasts to total 3lbs. That made for an easy division into 8 pieces. If you have bigger or smaller breasts you may need to get creative with your cutting. You want 8 pieces of equal weight.
- Cut your chicken breasts into 8 equally weighted pieces.
- Lay some plastic wrap over the chicken and pound each piece until they are around ½" in thickness and shaped like a piece of chicken that would go on a sandwich. Season each side with salt and pepper.
- Crack two eggs into bowl with 3 tbsp of hot sauce and beat to combine.
- For the breading I use ground corn chex. To make this I put corn chex cereal into the blender until it is a powder. You can use whatever you like, within reason, as a breading. I just prefer the corn chex.
- Mix the ground corn chex with onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper. If you like your food spicy, add more cayenne to taste.
- To bread each piece of chicken, dunk the chicken pieces into the egg wash and then into the breading mixture.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F and cook the chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side. Spray with top side with oil when you put the chicken in and after you flip each piece.
For the Bread and Toppings
- Toast your buns by spreading a light layer of butter over the top and placing down in a hot skillet for a couple of minutes.
- Wash and cut your tomatoes into thin slices.
- Wash and dry your romaine lettuce leaves.
- Each sandwich gets 1 piece of chicken, 1-2 tomato slices, a piece of lettuce, pickles, and mayo spread on the bun.
- You can either store extra chicken in the fridge for up to 5 days or you can place the extra chicken in a ziplock bag, remove the air, and freeze. They will be good in the freezer as long as they don't develop freezer burn. Reheat in the air fryer until they are hot and ready to eat.
- The recipe calls for 125 grams of ground corn chex so it is easier to bread the meat. You will likely have some left over if you made 8 pieces of chicken. I have included 100 grams of corn chex in the nutrition estimates to account for the excess that wasn't included.
- The nutritional estimates for just the chicken, not the sandwich are 232 Calories, 11.5g C | 38.6g P | 4g F.
The information in the following tables are estimates for the total nutrition of the recipe, as written. If you follow the recipe listed above, as written, you can use these tables to determine the nutrition information if you wanted to split the recipe, as written, into more or less servings than what is originally listed. If you update the number of servings in the “Servings” field of the recipe above, the information in these tables are no longer accurate as you have updated the ingredients.