Spicy Adobo Chicken and Peppers
- 2 lbs (908 g) boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1½ tbsp (23 g) olive oil
- 1 medium (150 g) red bell pepper
- 1 medium (150 g) green bell pepper
- 1 medium (200 g) onion
- 3½ cups (525 g) cooked rice
- 1 tbsp (15 g) lime juice
- 4 tbsp (60 g) chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp (3 g) garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Rice
- Cook enough rice to yield 3½ cups of cooked rice. 1 cup of dry rice will yield between 2-3 cups of cooked rice.
For the Chicken
- I prefer to cook this in the air fryer. If you don't have one you can use the bake and broil method in the oven. Preheat your air fryer to 400°F or your oven to 425°F.
- Cut the chipotle peppers into a mince with some of the adobo sauce until you have about ¼ cup worth.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add about 2 tbsp of the chipotle peppers and adobo sauce. Toss the chicken to coat with the sauce.
- Place the chicken into your air fryer basket and air fry for 8-12 minutes, flipping halfway.
- If you bake it, place it on a sheet pan in the oven on the top rack for 10 minutes, then turn the oven to broil and broil for about 3 minutes each side or until it has developed color. The thickness of your chicken will impact cooking time. If it needs more or less time, pull it out when it is done.
For the Peppers and Onion
- Wash and cut your peppers into a large dice. Cut the onion into slices.
- In a large skillet, heat some oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook for 4-5 minutes until they have begun to caramelize.
- Add more oil if needed and add in the peppers. Season with salt to help bring out some of the moisture. Cook for 3-4 minutes and remove from the pan.
For the Finished Dish
- Cut the chicken into a medium dice.
- Into a large skillet, add the chicken and allow it to develop a bit more color on all sides. Add in the peppers and onions, 3½ cups of cooked rice and the remaining chipotle peppers. Toss to coat evenly.
- Add the garlic powder and lime juice. Stir to incorporate and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- This recipe makes 5 servings. Divide the ingredients evenly 5 ways.
The information in the following table are estimates for the total nutrition of the recipe, as written. If you follow the recipe listed above, as written, you can use these tables to determine the nutrition information if you wanted to split the recipe, as written, into more or less servings than what is originally listed. If you update the number of servings in the “Servings” field of the recipe above, the information in these tables are no longer accurate as you have updated the ingredients.