- 2 lbs (908 g) frozen broccoli
- ½ medium (100 g) onion
- 1 cup (120 g) maseca
- 3 tsp (12 g) garlic powder
- 1⅓ tsp (8 g) salt
- 2 tsp (4 g) pepper
- ¼ cup (60 g) water
- (10 g) oil spray optional for reheating
For the Broccoli Bites
- Thaw out your broccoli in the microwave.
- NOTE: If you have a food processor you can probably just add all of the ingredients (minus the oil spray) and pulse it until it forms a "dough".
- If you don't have a food processor, pour out all of your broccoli onto a cutting board and chop it as fine as you reasonably can.
- Cut your onion into as small of a dice as you can.
- In a large bowl, add the broccoli, onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and maseca. Mix to combine.
- Add in the water and stir to hydrate. Keep moving everything around until the maseca becomes sticky and a dough like consistency starts to form.
- Line a large baking sheet (I used 17"x11") with foil or parchment and spread out the broccoli mix. Press it into all sides of the sheet pan to get a dense, thin product.
- The thinner you make these the crispier they will get in the air fryer. If your sheet pan is too small and you try to fit the entire mixture on to it, your final bites will probably be too thick. It may be necessary in this case to use two sheet pans. You want about ⅛"-¼" in thickness.
- Place the sheet pan into the freezer and allow it to freeze until solid. This will make it a breeze to form into pieces. You would have to do it by hand otherwise which would get messy and time consuming.
- You can just form them by hand and air fry immediately if you don't need them for Snack City.
- Once frozen solid, remove from the pan and cut into 48 pieces. I achieved this by cutting it into 8 rows and 6 columns.
- Transfer the bites to a ziplock bag and store them inside of Snack City in your freezer.
Cooking and Serving
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F. Place the frozen broccoli bites into the air fryer. (Spray with oil if you wish). Air fry for 16-20 minutes, flipping half way. Cooking times may vary depending on thickness, just keep an eye on them.
- Serve your broccoli bites with a bit of pasta sauce for dipping. Choose your favorited jarred sauce at the store.
- Note that the nutrition information doesn't include the pasta sauce, just the broccoli bites.
The information in the following table are estimates for the total nutrition of the recipe, as written. If you follow the recipe listed above, as written, you can use these tables to determine the nutrition information if you wanted to split the recipe, as written, into more or less servings than what is originally listed. If you update the number of servings in the “Servings” field of the recipe above, the information in these tables are no longer accurate as you have updated the ingredients.