Chicken Bowls with Rice & Lentils
Servings: 5 servings
These Chicken Bowls with Rice and Lentils are cheap, delicious, and so easy to make. They are made up of chicken breasts, rice and lentils with caramelized onions, lettuce, and Italian dressing to bring it all together.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 cup (200 g) rice
- ½ cup (100 g) lentils
- 1 medium (200 g) onion
- 5 tbsp (60 g) vinegar optional
- 2 tbsp (30 g) oil
- 2 lbs (908 g) boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tsp (3 g) pepper
- 1 tsp (3 g) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (6 g) salt
- ½ lb (250 g) baby spring mix
- 10 tbsp (150 g) italian dressing
For the Chicken
- Preheat your oven to 375 °F. Pound the chicken breast so that they are all of even thickness. Drizzle over 1 tbsp of oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Lay out the chicken on a sheet pan and roast for 20 minutes or until the internal temperature has maintained 155℉ for 2 minutes.
For the Rice
- Chop your onion into thin slices.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add 1 tbsp of oil.
- Add the onions and cook them for roughly 8-10 minutes to caramelize them. Salt them early to help them cook faster. You can also drizzle over some water to encourage the onions to caramelize faster.
- To a rice cooker or a pot, add in the lentils and rice. Rinse until the water runs clear then add about 2½[/adjustable cups (600g) of water.
- Once the onions are all golden brown and fragrant, pour them into the rice, mix, and cook until the rice and lentils are softened and finished.
- How you plan to eat this meal will dictate how you plate it up. If you need to travel with the meals, you should put the lettuce and a ramekin of dressing into each container. I eat these at home so I'll add the lettuce and dressing right before I eat the meals.
- Divide the rice and chicken evenly between the dishes. Each container gets about 1 cup or 50g of lettuce and 2 tbsp or 30 grams of dressing. I also dress the lettuce with 10-15g of vinegar.
- For reheating, remove the dressing and lettuce and microwave the rice and chicken until warmed. Construct your bowls with everything together.
Calories: 565kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 48g | Fat: 18g | Fiber: 7.5g
NUTRITIONAL INFO FOR THE Chicken Bowls with Rice and Lentils