Ham and Bean Soup
Servings: 5 servings
Ham and Bean Soup made up of ham, shredded chicken, white beans, potatoes, and vegetables. A great option to add to your soup rotation for the winter. Soups are great options for meal prep if you don't have to travel with your meals because they keep the best in the fridge over the week.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
For the Soup
- 1¼ lbs (568 g) ham steak
- 1 lb (454 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 medium (200 g) carrots
- 3 stalks (200 g) celery
- 1 medium (200 g) onion
- 1 tbsp (15 g) garlic minced
- 1 tbsp (15 g) oil
- 2 cans (878 g) great northern beans
- 4 cups (946 g) chicken broth
- 2 cups (480 g) water
- 1 tsp (4 g) granulated chicken bouillon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 medium (500 g) potatoes
- 2 cups (100 g) kale
For the Soup
- Wash and cut your vegetables. Cut the onion, carrots, and celery into a small dice. Cut the potatoes into a large dice. Cut the kale away from the stems and roughly chop. Massage the kale by squeezing the leaves a bit.
- Into a large pot, add 1 tbsp of oil over medium high heat.
- Add your garlic, onions, celery, and carrots. Season lightly with salt and allow them to brown for a few minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, cut your ham steak into a large dice.
- Once the vegetables have softened and developed color, add in the ham, chicken and the potatoes to the pot. Pour in the chicken broth and water.
- Rinse and drain the beans and add them to the pot.
- Cover the pot and bring it to a boil. Once boiling you can reduce the heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, pull out the chicken and shred with two forks or a mixer. Season the shredded chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add in the kale to the pot while you shred the chicken.
- Add the shredded chicken and 1 tsp of granulated chicken bouillon to the pot and stir.
- Taste the broth to test for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper to taste. The ham is quite salty so it make sure you test first before adding any salt.
- This recipe makes 5 servings. Divide your soup evenly into 5 containers and allow to cool before you store in your fridge.
- NOTE: A nice addition to the top of this soup after you reheat it is some chili garlic oil. The extra fat mixes with the broth for lots of flavor and heat.
Calories: 546kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 60g | Fat: 10g
NUTRITIONAL INFO FOR THE Ham and Bean Soup
The information in this table represents the estimate for the total nutrition of the recipe as it is written. If you wanted to split the recipe into more or less servings than what is originally listed you can use this table to determine the nutritional estimates. If you update the number of servings in the “Servings” field of the recipe above, the information in these tables are no longer accurate as you have updated the ingredients.
This Post Has 11 Comments
Did you forget the kale and potatoes in the ingredients?
Whoops. Thanks for the note, it’s fixed now 👍
Thank you for sharing. My whole family enjoyed this, including my 11 and 7 year old boys. Easy way to use some left over ham from Christmas.
Glad everyone enjoyed it 😎
I’m just wondering how much kale and potatoes? It’s not listed in the ingredients.
I refreshed the page and the recipe was corrected.
How come when saved to favorites the exact portions don’t cross over? For example, I opened this from my favorites and it listed 2.4 cans of beans instead of the actual weight. Is there a way to fix this?
Hello, you may need update the amount of servings in the Favorites. When you add a recipe to your Favorites I think it automatically goes to the default number of servings. You can update the amount of servings you want to make in there and then click regenerate shopping list. It will also give you the option to choose imperial or metric weights for the list.
Fantastic! Thanks for something so flavorful and filling!
thank you, glad you liked it 😎
This is so hearty and delicious! Fantastic recipe!