Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- 12 (340 g) mozzarella cheese sticks
- 1 tbsp (8 g) tapioca flour regular flour or cornstarch is fine
- 1 cup (100 g) corn chex ground (or breadcrumbs)
- ¼ tsp (1 g) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 g) pepper
- ¼ tsp (1 g) garlic powder
- 1 egg
For the Cheese Sticks
- Remove the plastic from all of the cheese sticks and cut in half. Place in the freezer until they have frozen solid.
For the Breading
- Place the corn chex into a food processor or blender and blend until they resemble the size of breadcrumbs. Mix in the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Place just over half into a shallow dish.
- Place the cornstarch into a ziplock bag.
- Crack the egg into a bowl, add a bit of water to thin, and scramble.
- Coat the frozen cheese stick in cornstarch and shake off any excess.
- Dunk the starch coated cheese stick into the egg wash and then place into the dish with the corn chex. Make sure you allow the excess egg wash to drain off of the cheese before you put it into the dish. Coat with corn chex and place on a plate. Keep one hand for the egg dunk and one hand for the breading, that will keep the corn chex from gunking up on your fingers.
- Once all of the cheese sticks have been breaded, give them a second pass through the egg wash and remaining breading. Make sure you get the ends as well to prevent cheese from seeping out.
- After breading, place them into the freezer until they have frozen solid. If they aren't frozen throughout the cheese melts too fast when cooking.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F on the air fry setting and set the timer for 6 minutes.
- Add the frozen mozzarella sticks to the air fryer and spray lightly with oil. Turn them every 1-2 minutes. This will help you monitor them to ensure they aren't leaking cheese. Pull them out when the outside is golden but before the cheese is leaking out everywhere.
- Allow the mozzarella sticks to cool and then place in a ziplock bag. Remove as much air as possible and seal. Place into the freezer.
- To reheat, you can use the microwave or your air fryer. Using the reheat setting on 400° it will take 3-5 minutes to reheat. Again, make sure you check it often to ensure the cheese doesn't seep out.
NUTRITIONAL INFO FOR THE Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
The information in this table represents the estimate for the total nutrition of the recipe as it is written. If you wanted to split the recipe into more or less servings than what is originally listed you can use this table to determine the nutritional estimates. If you update the number of servings in the “Servings” field of the recipe above, the information in these tables are no longer accurate as you have updated the ingredients.