Honey Sriracha Rice Bowls
For the Rice Bowls
- 2 lbs (908 g) boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cups (600 g) cooked rice
- 12 oz (340 g) broccoli
- 3 medium (150 g) carrots
- 1 small (125 g) onion
- 4 stalks (50 g) green onions
- ½ tbsp (7.5 g) minced garlic
- 1 tbsp (15 g) oil
- oil spray
For the Sauce
- 3 tbsp (45 g) soy sauce GF if needed
- 1½ tbsp (23 g) lime juice
- 2½ tbsp (40 g) sriracha
- 2 tsp (10 g) sesame oil
- ¼ cup (84 g) honey
- ½ tbsp (7.5 g) garlic
For the Rice
- Cook enough rice to yield 4 cups (600g) of cooked rice. 1 cup of dry rice will make between 2-3 cups of rice depending on what kind you use.
For the Sauce
- Mince some garlic cloves until you have 1 tbsp (15g) of garlic.
- Place a bowl over a scale and add in the soy sauce, lime juice, sriracha, sesame oil, honey, and ½ tbsp of the garlic.
- Stir the sauce until the the honey is incorporated and the garlic is distributed throughout.
For the Chicken
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (217°C).
- Place the chicken thighs into a large bowl. Cut off any excess fat or skin from the thighs.
- Pour roughly ⅓-½ of the sauce over the top of the chicken and mix it with the chicken until it is completely coated. Allowing it to marinate for 30 minutes to aa couple of hours is best but if you want to just cook it immediately, that will do.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and lay the chicken thighs smooth side down on the sheet pan, ensuring enough space between each thigh to promote proper browning.
- Roast the chicken for 10-12 minutes.
- After 10-12 minutes, turn the oven to broil and place the sheet pan on the top rack, under the broiler if it is not already there. Watch the chicken closely as it will be prone to burning.
- Broil the chicken for 3-5 minutes on each side until you are happy with the level of browning on the chicken.
- Once finished, remove from the oven and allow it to rest before cutting.
For the Vegetables
- While the chicken is cooking, wash and cut all of your vegetables.
- Cut the onion into thin slices, the carrots into a medium dice on a bias, the broccoli into small florets, and the green onions into thin slices. Save the green onion tops for a garnish and add the whites to your onion pile.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add in ½ tbsp of oil. Add in the carrots and broccoli first. Cook them for a few minutes to develop a small amount of browning and then drizzle over a few tablespoons of water to create steam and help them cook a bit faster.
- Create some room in the center of the skillet and add the remaining ½ tbsp of oil. Dump in the onions and garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes until the onions just start to develop some color and then mix into the rest of the vegetables.
- Measure out 4 cups (600g) of cooked rice and add to the skillet.
- Pour over the remaining sauce and mix to combine.
- Toss the chicken thighs around on the sheet pan to coat them in any juices/sauce on the pan. Cut the chicken into a medium dice and add to skillet.
- Mix everything together and taste test. Adjust flavor with salt, pepper, or any of the sauce components as you see fit.
- The recipe makes 5 servings. Divide the contents of the skillet evenly into the 5 containers. This meal will last for up to 5 days in the fridge.
- Reheat in the microwave and top with more sriracha.
NUTRITIONAL INFO FOR THE Honey Sriracha Rice Bowls
The information in this table represents the estimate for the total nutrition of the recipe as it is written. If you wanted to split the recipe into more or less servings than what is originally listed you can use this table to determine the nutritional estimates. If you update the number of servings in the “Servings” field of the recipe above, the information in these tables are no longer accurate as you have updated the ingredients.