Ground chicken or turkey mixed with a wide variety of vegetables and lo mein noodles in a flavorful sauce made from soy sauce, honey, sriracha, and hoisin sauce.
PER SERVING – MAKES 5
- 2 lbs (908 g) ground turkey or chicken
- ¼ lb (113 g) carrots
- ½ medium (100 g) onion
- 1 medium (150 g) red pepper
- ½ lb (227 g) mushrooms
- 2 cups (120 g) coleslaw mix
- 1½ cups (45 g) spinach
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 7 oz (200 g) lo mein noodles or pad thai rice noodles for gluten free
For the Sauce
- 1½ tbsp (30 g) honey
- 2⅓ tbsp (35 g) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 g) sriracha
- ¾ tbsp (18 g) hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp (4 g) ground ginger
- 1½ tbsp (23 g) water
For the Noodles
- Prepare the noodles according to the instructions on the package.
For the Turkey
- Add some oil to a skillet over medium high heat. Add in the turkey and cook it until it has browned. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
For the Vegetables
- Wash and prepare all of your vegetables. Cut your red pepper, onion, and mushrooms into thin slices so they cook quickly. Use a vegetable peeler to create ribbons out of your carrots. You'll want to do all of this prep work before you start cooking them, the cooking process goes fast.
- In a large pot, add some oil and add the onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until they have begun to develop color.
- Add in the coleslaw mix. Stir and cook for a minute or two.
- Make room in the pot and add the red pepper to the pot. Allow them to develop a bit of color then add in the shredded carrots and stir. Continue to cook until the vegetables have softened.
- Stir in the spinach and allow it to wilt.
- For the mushrooms I prefer to cook them separately so they can develop color. If you are feeling lazy you can throw them in at any point of the cooking process. I like to add them to a dry skillet over medium heat, salt them, and cook them until they have browned. Add them to the pot with the other vegetables.
For the Lo Mein
- Mix all of the sauce ingredients together in a bowl.
- Drain the water from the noodles and add them to a skillet with the sauce. You just want to toss the noodles with the sauce so they are evenly coated.
- Add the noodles and turkey to the large pot with the vegetables. Stir to incorporate and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- This recipe makes 5 servings. Divide your ingredients evenly 5 ways.
The information in the following tables are estimates for the total nutrition of the recipe, as written. If you follow the recipe listed above, as written, you can use these tables to determine the nutrition information if you wanted to split the recipe, as written, into more or less servings than what is originally listed. If you update the number of servings in the “Servings” field of the recipe above, the information in these tables are no longer accurate as you have updated the ingredients.